Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A Christmas Adventure

Hmm, where to begin?

I don't know that I've posted anything about how icky Vince's job has been lately because of the new apartment managers. But to understand this story, you need to know that it has been icky with a capital I. The new people are just...well, we're trying not to be bitter and angry and strongly dislike them, so I won't say. By now you probably want the bottom line, right?

On Monday, Vince was fired. For no good reason. And since he worked at our apartments, we had to be out in three days. Today is the end of day three. Whew.

From the very first day (literally!) that we arrived in Oklahoma, we have been what I can only call opposed by the enemy of our souls. We always have and still very much so believe that God has extraordinary plans for us (and I believe specifically for Vince, in ministry) here, and that makes the devil angry. Think back over our time here so far: our moving truck was over three weeks late arriving from Florida; despite two solid job leads when we got here last year, it took Vince over three months to find a job, and it wasn't one that made him happy; all three of us have probably been sick more often than ever (although I'm not sure we can really count Ziva in there since her "ever" is much short than ours); we were stymied again and again in finding a church to call home; and now, most recently, when Vince had spent less than 6 months at a job he originally loved, he got fired. 4 days before Christmas.

And we're excited! Because we see these struggles for the warfare they represent, and we know we are on the victorious side, and God's plans for us won't fail. We trust Him completely and know that He has an amazing, bring-tears-to-our-eyes-beautiful kind of plan up His sleeve, and we just need to sit back and watch Him work. We know that He will take care of us every step of the way. Already He has blessed us so, so much. In my two scavenger trips to Walmart, looking for boxes, I scored more boxes than I ever have in my life. Small victory, I know, but it felt huge since we had to pack everything in three days. We posted our couches and ottomans and a few other odd things on Craigslist, and sold them for just a shade under our asking price. The weather, although drizzly, held out for us to get everything moved. Three wonderful women came to the rescue yesterday and helped pack and/or keep Ziva happy. And my parents have welcomed us in for as long as it takes for us to figure things out.

So, as we've been telling Ziva, "God is taking us on an adventure." We can't wait to see what's next.

1 comment:

The Frugal Muse said...

Wow. I can't believe it. What a crazy whirlwind! I'm so glad God is giving you the grace to see the bigger picture. Love you guys- I'm so sorry for all of this!