Tuesday, December 30, 2008

What happened at Walmart

Today Ziva and I went to Walmart for a few last minute New Years things. The first thing that happened was that Ziva threw up squash in the drape aisle. And since that never happens anymore, I have taken to leaving the diaper bag in the car on most shopping trips (one less things to carry) so I didn't have anything with which to clean up. Thankfully, a nice lady who witnessed the episode had a tissue, and I managed to make that one tissue work to clean up Ziva's face, sock, cart seat, and the splat on the floor. The next thing that happened was that we spent about ten minutes in the completely wrong section looking for those little safety latches for cabinet doors. So after all that, the next thing that happened was that we ran into an old friend/teacher/sweet lady, which was great, but she also had some interesting information (which, sorry, I won't share unless anything comes of it). Who knows? If the first two events had not taken place, I might not have been in that exact spot and run into her. But that's not all! The last thing that happened was that right after we checked out and were about to leave, I noticed a very small boy running back and forth between a few checkout stands, crying and acting rather frantic. When I tried to talk to him he seemed scared, but I kept asking if he'd lost his mama, and he said yes with a very trembly lip and big tears. So I asked him his name and took him to customer service to page his mom. When she came, she seemed mad instead of glad to see he was safe. I felt sorry for the poor little guy. I'm sure his mom was frustrated that he wandered off, and I'm sure he'd been told time after time to not wander off, but still. I hope if Ziva ever gets lost in Walmart, I will be thrilled when I find her. The whole thing made me think of the story of the prodigal son. His dad threw the biggest party ever when he returned, even though when he left he had a heart full of evil designs, not innocent 3-year-old interest in the candy bar display. It made me sad that this little boy's mom didn't celebrate his return. I hope I'll always parent in a way that reveals God's father heart to my children.

Moving on...

Ziva had her 9 month check up today, and she is in perfect health! (Kill the fatted calf, let's have a party!) Doctor said she is doing all the things a 9 month old baby should be doing, and all the things a 9 month old baby shouldn't be doing (i.e., getting into trouble!). Here are her latest stats:

Length: 29 inches (90th percentile)
Weight: 18 pounds, 1 oz (45th percentile)
Head: 17 3/4 cm (80th percentile)

Confession: I'm not totally sure if they measure heads in inches or centimeters, but 18 inches seems like a lot! However, I don't think I could even tell you what a centimeter looks like (so much for education). So who knows. Probably all of you reading this. The main point is, she is still long and lean (I expect she'll be taller than me by the time she's in about 5th grade), but it looks like her head is getting bigger! It looks totally proportionate though, so I'm not worried. She's such a cutie!

No comments: